Wednesday, November 18, 2009


Lois Ruth LeBaron Jones

Life Story

An Autobiography

Before Her Marriage


After many hardships in Arizona, my widowed grandmother, Harriet Naomi LeBaron moved to Canada with her children - Ella, William, Neal and Ralph. My father Neal, was seven years old at the time. After raising sugar beets in Raymond, Alberta for six years, they moved to Barnwell where they took up mixed farming. Dad went back to Raymond for three winters and attended Knight Academy. While there, he boarded at Oliver Lee's house where my mother, Luella Wight, was also living. She was just a girl in pigtails. Coming back to Barnwell, he went into the store business. Mom, who was now a young lady, taught school in Coronation. She later began to teach in Taber, a town five miles from Barnwell. They saw each other quite often and became well acquainted. Resigning from teaching school, mom went to university at Salt Lake City. They corresponded until June, when daddy went to meet mom, and they were married in the Salt Lake Temple by George F. Richards on June 8th, 1921. Their honeymoon was spent in Salt Lake City. Settling down in Barnwell, they bought a twenty acre farm which later grew to forty acres. They lived in a brick house which dad and his mother had worked very hard to get. On July 29, 1922, mom and dad were blessed with a beautiful baby girl. She was given the name of Pearl Naomi. To keep up with expenses mom and dad took vegetables to Taber and sold them house to house. When Pearl was two years old, she was presented with a little playmate. Lawrence Neal was given a name and a father's blessing on September 7th. To again aid in finances daddy took a job as a salesman for a grocery firm. Mom was kept busy with church activities as well as taking care of the family.

The next big event took place on May 13th when another baby boy with lots of curly hair arrived. On June 6th he was given the name of Homer McKay. The LeBaron family helped move an old house from Coal City to Dad's property. This became grandma's house. She surrounded it with

p. 2


beautiful flowers and soon had a picturesque residence. Grandma was noted for her beautiful flowers. It was said that she had a "green thumb" because she seemed to be able to make anything grow.

Joseph had less than one day on earth. He was born on January 9th, 1929 and went back to Heavenly Father the same day.

Daddy and some other farmers and businessmen originated a "Farmers Market" in Lethbridge, which was 26 miles west of Barnwell. It was started in the old Hudson Bay building in 1930. Mom and dad made weekly trips from the farm to the market with various kinds of vegetables to sell.

Pearl, Lawrence and Homer were great friends. They kept mom and dad busy, but happy. On November 14, 1930 another baby boy dropped in and staked himself a permanent claim on the family too. He was named Melvin Jay. Pearl was a big help in taking care of the children. When she was eight years old, daddy baptized her in the Barnwell canal. Lawrence was baptized there two years later. The next limb on the family tree sprouted on January 8th, 1933. He was given the name of Don Marvin on March 5th.

Money would hardly stretch around this growing family, to enable to pay the mortgage on the land. The brick house was taken away from them. While living in a little shack, they began building a new home. The Barnwell canal again served as a baptismal font while daddy baptized Homer on May 13, 1934. Another baby boy entered the fold October 8th, 1936. He was named Elwin Dale. Although he was a tiny and weak baby to begin with, he made up for it in his later life.

In November of 1937 the new house was ready to move into. It was a relief to be able to turn around without bumping into someone or something. A leak-proof roof was also a new luxury. Pearl waited sixteen years for a sister before I arrived, (June 13, 1938), so she already had a name picked out - "Lois Ruth". On July 3rd I was blessed with that name by my father. Pearl stayed awake nights rocking me to sleep, and studying for her exams in the meantime. She lost some sleep but made good grades anyway. Since she took care of me most of the time it seems I became confused as to who my mother really was, and I called her "mamma".

When I was one year, two months and twelve days old, another baby boy joined our throng. Daddy blessed him with the name of Earl Edward. Lawrence sometimes took me with him to milk Jumper, the cow. Once when he had left me playing in the road outside the barn, he heard me

p. 3


laughing and went to see what was going on. He arrived just in time to chase a big cow who was about to give me a free ride by the way of its horns.

November 10th was an important day for Melvin, he was baptized by daddy. I remember very little about Dale in my early childhood, but I'm sure he played an important part.

One day when I was about four, Pearl took me to Lethbridge to buy me a pair of shoes. I thought the foot measurer would cut my foot off and I cried when the clerk tried to get my size.

Life wasn't all play and no work in those days. Being an assistant farmer was a big job! Frank Wight was staying with us then, helping us on our farm. I'll never forget the day he took me to the store and bought me a big bag of candy. I couldn't believe it was all mine.

When Eddy and I ran out of things to do, we ran down to Grandma's house. Being at grandma's was almost like being in another world. We sometimes sat beside her big armchair while she hooked her famous rugs, and listened to stories of the pioneer days. Grandma always had a pantry full of goodies. Everyone loved her peanut butter cookies. She often spread us a slice of her home-made bread with yummy apple jelly. I watched in amazement as she would spread the butter on the bread before cutting it. On special occasions, all the near relatives would flock into her tiny house for chicken and dumplings. Daddy was the only one I knew of that could compete with grandma in cooking. He also acquired her art of growing flowers. For years the land around our home could well have been called "Barnwell's flower garden".

Many times we get lonely for the sleepy, summery past of our childhood, with its nerve-relaxing, peaceful quietness. Those summers have become our Golden Yesterdays, yes, because those were the days, long before we noticed "silver threads among the gold". No matter how tarnished the vanished past becomes, childhood memories always remain golden, and we have many…..yes, our many memories bring a longing for those vanished yesterdays. Life was pleasant back there in the Golden Days.

While Pearl was working in Lethbridge, she met Ralph Baker. This soon ended her career as waitress and began her career as a housewife. - All I remember about the wedding is that I sat by uncle William and ate pink ice

cream.

The Farmer's Market was still the main source of income. Mom and

p. 4


Dad often took Dale, Eddy and I with them and then left us in the park (across the street from the market), to play. One of my more unpleasant memories started one day when Eddy and I were playing in the park. A man, sitting on a bench nearby called us over to him. We thought he was nice because he gave us some gum. Each day after that, he would be waiting in the park when mom and dad left us there. And each day he would tell me fascinating stories of his big house full of dolls and pretty dresses and all sorts of things little girls like. Then one day he told me he was going to take me there. It seemed like a fairy-tale coming to life. Then just before I was to go with him to his big house, he tried to kiss me. When mom and dad came to get us for dinner I told them about the man. Daddy took me to the police station and it wasn't long before the man was in jail. I was told that he was a wicked man, and that I must never speak to anyone I did not know. I'll never forget the way the judge looked when he told the man to leave the country and never come back. It was not for years after that I realized what a narrow escape I had. I guess even little girls have guardian angels.

We always had a special Home Evening on Christmas Eve. Everyone would do an original performance of some kind. We always looked forward to daddy's recitation of the "ABC's" and "Just Fore Christmas". No one could do it quite like daddy. He had always been quite an actor and comedian. His favorite role was an imitation of Charlie Chaplin. We tried especially hard to be good before Christmas so that Santa Claus would bring us a lot of toys and things. One year we must have been extra good because he brought Eddy a little red bicycle. I treasured the little doll that Mrs. Baker gave me that year too.

Lawrence and Homer led our family's line of basketball players. Homer's team won the Alberta championship. Lawrence refereed games besides playing.

My first peek into school was when Dale took me to his class Valentine party. I remember having a wonderful time.

I was one of the flower girls at our MIA Golden Green Ball when I was six years old. At rehearsals we were to told to only go through the motions of tossing the flowers which were in our baskets. We did the same thing at the night of the performance!

Pearl and her new son, Douglas Neal, moved to Winnepeg, Manitoba where Ralph was stationed in the Canadian Air Force. They later moved back to Alberta.

p. 5


October 2, 1944 was my first day of school. Mom said I was thrilled. When Eddy and I came home one day for lunch, daddy jumped out from behind the door to tell us that we had a baby brother. I was the envy of my school pals for awhile, and I lived for the day mom would come home from the hospital with him. We named him Milton Glenn. I was happy to have a little baby to take care of.

At the end of the war we all went to Taber to see the burning of Hitler's effigy. I'd never before seen such a big bonfire.

Daddy took me to see my first rodeo. He bought me a candy apple. It lasted all day.

For a pioneer celebration on July 24th Dale and I dressed as pioneers and pulled a handcart. Eddy was a little Indian. (It took a little acting). We looked forward to summer because it usually meant a trip to the Sawmill in the mountains. Nothing seemed as exciting as camping out and exploring nature.

Pearl and Ralph's next baby was a little dimpled girl, born in Winnepeg. They named her Gertrude Pearl.

The Asplund family moved to Barnwell from California and before long their daughter Marilynne had become Lawrence's girl. They were married in the Cardston Temple on January 9th, 1946.

On July 27th of that year daddy baptized me in the Lethbridge Stake house. I was confirmed the next Sunday. Pearl and Ralph's second boy, Donald Ralph was born that year.

Mom decided that I should take piano lessons. I didn't mind, but sometimes, especially on beautiful summer days, an hour's practice seemed awfully long.

I remember the year daddy played the role of Scrooge in the mutual's production of the Christmas Carol. As usual, he did a great job of acting. I was relieved when he became his natural self in the end.

About three years after their marriage, Lawrence and Marilynne made California their home. Before they left we were all together one last time. After that our family all seemed to take different paths.

My cousin, Lorna Campbell came to stay with us for one year. I'll always remember the times we slept outside in the open wagon. We would lay awake for hours watching for falling stars. I kept hoping one of them would land near us so I could see what a real star looked like.

In the spring of 1947 Barnwell was nearly flooded off the map. I had

p. 6

never seen so much water. The next year Homer went on a mission to France. We missed him so much while he was gone.

Primary was a highlight in my life. I especially remember our Lark class and the happy times we had together.

Every year at planting time, daddy and I went out in the field and together we planted pumpkins, squash, melons, etc. After he dug the little holes, I put the seeds in and covered them up. I'll always remember the talks we had while we were planting. I was so curious about so many things. Daddy always had the answer.

Daddy bought the Bright Spot Café in Barnwell to aid finances. It was great to be able to have an ice cream cone anytime we wanted. By the time I reached the fifth grade, all those extra calories were beginning to show. School was a lot of fun and easy-going then. We spent most of our time fighting with the boys and telling secrets.

Gerald Robert was the next boy to join Pearl and Ralph's family. It didn't take him long to become a full-fledged member.

My favorite school teacher was Miss Fisher. She taught me in grade six. This is what she wrote in my autograph album: L is for loyalty to ideals so pure, O is for Obedience to laws that are given, I is for Ideals steadfast and sure. S is for Satisfaction in work well done. Always live up to your name. The best of luck to you. Your school teacher, Edith Fisher"

I hope I can live up to my name.

My first experience with a hospital came when I was in grade seven. I had to spend the Easter holidays there with a skin irritation.

Melvin left for his mission in Australia just before Homer came home. Before Melvin returned Don left for his mission to South Africa.

The summer after I graduated into Mutual our class went camping at Park Lake with the other girls our age from the stake. With swimming, games and campfire programs we had the most wonderful time. We could hardly wait until the next summer.

Apostle Ezra Taft Benson dedicated our new chapel in Barnwell. Sister Ruby Johnson started a Junior Choir in our ward as soon as our chapel had been dedicated. We sang at stake conference.

Lawrence became a great fisherman in California (deep sea). We looked forward to their visits although most of them were surprises. It was always an exciting time while they were home. We hated to see them leave. Lawrence wasn't the only fisherman in the family. Dad was a little competition also.

p. 7


When I was thirteen I was in the Mutual Christmas play "Why the Chimes Rang". I had the part of the old woman who became an angel later. At the end I had to make a quick change of costume and didn't have time to put on my shoes. I was

embarrassed because my bare feet showed.

We always had a lot of visitors at Christmas time. In 1951 Jeaneen, a friend of Homer's from France and Vivianne Hill, Don's girl, plus four of Melvin's friends from Australia spent the holidays with us. The four Auzzies stayed with us for quite awhile. Joan worked in Lethbridge but spent her weekends with us. She became especially close to the family.

I was given my patriarchal blessing from brother Arlo Palmer on March 9th, 1952. It has been a most important guide throughout my life.

Eddy became interested in boxing. His hard training later brought him many honors - even the title of Golden Gloves champion. He excelled in many sports. In the Taber track meet he came in third in the three-mile race, beating several high school boys.

One night daddy came home from the field with two little brown rabbits. Later that night he wanted to let them go. But Eddy and I begged him to let us keep them. He finally consented and we built a little pen for them. The next day we hurried to see them and found them both dead. We were sorry for not taking daddy's advice. One nice thing about the farm was that we could always have a lot of pets. Although there was lots of work we always found time to feed the dogs and cats.

I always had a special sort of love for Glenny because I had taken care of him when he was little. I'll always remember the excitement of his first day of school. He had two close friends to start out with - the Peterson twins, who lived through the field from our house. Rodney, Glenn and Ricky. It seemed they were always together.

It was a sad day for all of us when grandma died. But she had suffered so much that we knew it was best. I'm so glad she lived long enough for me to get to know her.

When I was fourteen I decided that boys weren't such beasts after all. Weston Platt liked my friend, Karen who was very pretty. Although she didn't care for him, I thought he was about the nicest boy in the world. I was so happy the Sunday he and his cousin Don rode their bikes over to see me. I tried so hard to be calm so he wouldn't know I liked him! That was the last time I saw him because three days later he went to the hospital and died of

p. 8


polio a week after that.

Homer, like most returned missionaries soon found his girl. He gave Venita Vance a diamond the September after he arrived home and they were married in the Cardston Temple in December. It was fun being a bridesmaid.

One of the highlights of school year in Junior High was Sadie Hawkins Day. This gave us a chance to catch that special boy. The boys were given a head start but it didn't take us long to catch up with them. If we couldn't decide who to catch, we would get several girls together to chase a certain boy. It wasn't uncommon to see boys hanging out of trees, jumping into ditches (with water in), climbing telephone poles, or under a heap of girls. The boy we finally caught was the one we took to the Sadie Hawkins Dance that night. (We learned to be cultured young.)

Quite often in Home Ec. We gave the boys the goodies we made. One day, while the teacher was out, we decided to have some fun. We sprinkled cayenne pepper thickly on the bottom of the beautiful chocolate cake we made, and were about to take it to the boys when the teacher walked in. We all had our fingers tightly crossed, hoping she wouldn't follow her usual practice of sampling. She did! - No more Home Ec for a few months. This was typical of many of our experiences.

Don and Vivianne were married in the Cardston Temple a few days before he left for his mission in South Africa.

Dianne, a little girl from the orphanage came to live with us for about three years. She was the same age as Glenn. I was glad to have a little sister for a few years.

Sometimes when mom and dad came home from the market and found the house all cleaned up and dinner ready, daddy would give me a dollar. I always felt very repaid - mostly because they seemed so happy. When Pearl and Ralph moved into grandma's house, Doug, Trudy, Donnie and Jerry spent a lot of their time at our place. Sometimes they were even helpful.

Our Rose Prom was a special night for us where we were Mia Maids in mutual. We did a floorshow that night with the Explorers. The theme was "Moonlight and Roses", and that became a special song to us after that.

Grade nine was a busy year for me. Besides being a member of Student Council, I was president of the school paper and School Patrol Captain. I guess they were jobs no one else would take. At the end of the year I was elected to write the class will and prophecy, etc. for our Junior

p. 9


High Graduation. (Another job no one wanted.) This was a happy day for us because we looked forward to going to Taber High.

Besides classes and studies, my first year in High School was full of new friends, basketball practices and games, dates, dances and parties. But sometimes growing up was rather hard. There was often conflict between being like the rest of the kids and doing what mom and daddy wanted me to do (and what I knew I should do).

After a hard days work on the farm we would jump onto the tractor or into the truck and head for the canal. This was a highlight of the day. A modern swimming pool couldn't possibly have been as much fun as that old swimming hole was for us.

Joan even found out how to be a farmer's daughter, while staying with us. A few months after Melvin returned from his mission, he and Joan began going together. They were married July 16th of that year.

After Dale's first year of college in California, he brought two of his friends home with him. I couldn't understand why Jim and Chuck would leave California just to work on a farm.

Ralph's business made it necessary for them to move to Calgary. We were sad to see them go, especially Glenn who had become such good pals with the boys. Trudy was like a little sister and I think I missed her most of all.

Melvin and Joan moved into grandma's house after Ralph and Pearl moved. Their first baby girl, Wendy Joan, arrived the next year. I remember feeding her first bottle to her.

Just after I had started my second year in Taber High, mom and dad decided it would be best to move to Lethbridge. We moved into our new home at the end of October. As far as cities were concerned, Lethbridge was fine but I missed the "wide open spaces" and so many things I was used to in our little town. Although my friends came to Lethbridge quite often, I missed the close association we had had. Basketball was still one of my most important subjects.

Melody Rae, Homer and Venita's first little girl, missed being the New Year baby by just a few minutes. She was born in Logan while Homer was attending college.

The next summer, Melvin started a roadside stand in Barnwell to sell vegetables and fruit. We took turns working there.

Homer and Venita invited me to go live with them in Logan and take

p. 10

my last year of High School there, as they needed someone to tend Melody in the evenings so Venita could work to put him through college. Before I left, Ruth Stringham, a good friend, had a surprise party for me.

Daddy didn't like us to have pets but he let us get Ginger, a beautiful collie dog. I had always wanted a collie, and hated to leave him.

Logan was a beautiful little city. Although I became a little homesick at times, I made some wonderful friends there, and they, as well as Homer, Venita and Melody kept me from being lonely. Kay Olsen lived around the corner from our house. I grew to love her family like my own. Kay was a senior in High School also, and we were together most of the time, in classes and just having fun.

Dale left on his mission in South Africa shortly after Don returned from there. We all had Thanksgiving dinner together before he left. His letters from the mission field were a a great inspiration to me.

That year the family decided to take a trip to California. They stopped at Logan and took me with them. It was a wonderful trip that I'll always remember. The Grand Canyon was greater than I had ever imagined. We picked oranges in Arizona, visited parks and Disneyland. We spent a day at Knottsberry Farm, but I liked the beach best of all. I loved the ocean and was sure I'd never miss the opportunity to go to it again. It was hard to get back in the mood of studying after such a happy holiday.

Gene, a nice fellow I met in California, and we wrote to each other for several months. With Gene, I learned another hard lesson - that the answer to prayer isn't always "yes".

I was sure Melody was the sweetest little girl that had ever been born and of course Homer and Venita agreed. But when Laura Jean was born, Melody had a little competition. I couldn't remember ever seeing such a truly happy family. It made me feel good to be one of them.

I looked forward to graduation from High School, but in many ways graduation came too soon. I believe one of the hardest things to me has been to leave my friends. That's the way it was at graduation. I knew I would not see many of them again, in this life. As I walked across the platform to receive my diploma I remember feeling especially grateful for my parents, who had done so much for me to attain that goal. I was sorry they couldn't be there. Kay came home (Lethbridge) with me for a short visit after graduation. We had planned on going on to college together, but while staying with us she met Don and they were married at the end of the summer.


p. 11


I had spent all summer preparing to attend college in the United States, so I decided to go anyway, alone. It was a hard decision for me to make but later I was glad I had decided the way I did.

That summer I stayed at Pearl's in Calgary for a while. We went to the Calgary Stampede and had lots of fun walking up and down the midway and going on an occasional ride. People from all over the world came to Calgary that time of year. I'd never seen so many people at once.

Don and Vivianne had a new boss in the family by now. Lori Michelle was as cute as he name.

Dad and I decided to enter our car into the Lethbridge parade to advertise the Farmer's Market. We were quite surprised when they awarded us Second prize.

Mom and dad took me to Rexburg, a little town in Idaho where Ricks College was located. I moved in with Mrs. Pfost, a sweet little lady who had been a widow for several years. I had heard very little about Ricks before I enrolled there, and I'm not really sure why I decided to go there. Although it was a small college, I believe I had more opportunities there than I would have had at a larger college. I have always been glad I chose Ricks.

A few months after school started, finances were running low at home and mom and dad wondered if I shouldn't return home. Instead, I took a job as waitress in the Drive In Café. LaRee, a college freshman also, was working there and we became close friends. Through her I met many other friends. My room mate, Jeaneene, worked in the college cafeteria. Later that year I took a job there too.

I wanted very much to be a nurse, but by the end of the second quarter I could see my jobs were interfering with my grades. My advisor said that I could go on, or I could stay and take the new two-year Collegiate Plan that was starting next year. I preferred to stay, as I would complete my course the same time anyway. So the remainder of the year I took classes I wanted to take, rather than those I had to take. I didn't study as hard as I should have but I learned many important things those next two quarters.

College life was never dull. Hardly a week went by but what we had a dance or a party. There were a lot of special events that year. The Preference Ball was one of them. Ivard Budge was my date that night, and he was also a candidate for Preferred Guy. I thought he should have won - hands down.

Girl's Day was one of those perfect days. I was very surprised and

p. 12


honored to be a Queen's Attendant. Ivard was my date for the dance that night too. I guess all of my dates with him were kind of special to me. The theme for our graduation dance was "Moments to Remember" and I thought it was a perfect closing for such a perfect year.

After school let out, Ivard had to stay in Rexburg for a week after which he was to leave for guard camp. Homer was to pick me up on his way home from Logan, about the second day. However, it turned out that he didn't call for me until the day Ivard left. We were together a lot that week - climbing trees, frying chicken, visiting the haunted house, going bowling and to shows, walking through the park and having water fights. Neither of us were ready to get serious yet so it was all just fun. But the more I got to know Ivard, the more I liked him and the more I liked to be with him. I guess that's how it works with people though.

Outside of the fact that I wasn't anxious to leave Rexburg, it was good to be home again. The family was growing so fast - I had a hard time keeping all of my nephews and nieces straight. Besides tending Wendy, Janeal and Brad, we painted the house and also entered the car in the parade again. It was a busy summer.

In August, LaRee, Carol and Joyce came from Idaho for a visit. I tried to get them to go by Payette but they said Ivard wouldn't have fit in any of their suitcases anyway. It was a fun-filled week while the girls were visiting. A lot of happy memories are permanently stored in those few days. Daddy purchased a tent just in time for us to take it to Waterton to camp out in. On the way we stopped at the Cardston Temple. President Ursenbach , (a good friend of mom and dad's) showed us around. We couldn't have asked for a better guide. At Waterton we were typical tourists (we even had to ask the Mounties what trails to take!). Even Beryl (my friend from beautiful South Africa) agreed our scenery was lovely. Some of the more inexperienced mountain climbers were glad to see the last bend in the trail, but those of us that love that sort of thing hated to turn back.

Toward the end of the summer I received word that the new nursing plan at Ricks was only admitting about fifteen girls. I immediately phoned to Mrs. Howland (director of nursing) but they already had their maximum number of girls. My plans were all made to go back to Ricks and it was too late in the year to apply to other schools of nursing. I prayed and fasted for several days so that I would know what to do. One morning I woke up feeling strongly that I should go back to Ricks. A day or two later, Don and

p. 13


Vivianne drove me to Rexburg. (I remember how much fun we had getting all of my belongings into their tiny car.) I talked with Mrs. Howland shortly after I arrived. She said she would talk with the college President and let me know in a few days. I was on my knees a lot those next few days and I knew many of my family and friends were putting a P.S. on their prayers for me too. I couldn't believe it when Mrs. Howland finally phoned and said they were sorry but they couldn't let any more girls in. I don't know how long I laid out in the wheat field behind the house crying and trying to decide what to do. As I went back into the house the phone rang. It was Mrs. Howland. They had reconsidered and I was admitted! I guess that was one of the happiest moments of my life. I was going to be a nurse after all. I received a $125 scholarship that year which was another answer to my prayers.

It was good to be back with old gang again. A lot of time during the next few months was spent planning and presenting many dances, programs and assemblies. Our Phi Penny dance was the outstanding dance of the year. (As far as our club was concerned at least.) It had a Sadie Hawkins twist with a marriage booth and all the trimmings. Daisy Mae was presented with a rope and "Lil Abner with a box of Wheaties. The hit number of our Phi assembly was a sack dance. At least it was original.

Nursing was still the most important part of college, although I enjoyed the outside activities too. Later in our training we were able to work as aides in the hospital for about 60 cents an hour. I gained much valuable experience this way and it also helped me financially too.

When Dale came home from his mission, mom and dad went to Salt Lake to meet him. They decided to go on to California again to see the rest of the family. I was surprised when Mrs. Howland told me to go with them, but I didn't argue. We stopped at daddy's old home in Arizona. It was interesting to see the little ditch where he used to wade, and the trees he used to climb.

One of the biggest shocks of my life came the day I was nominated Girl of the Month. It was a great honor but there were many others who deserved it more than I did.

Girls Day was an important day for all girls on campus, especially the five candidates for Queen. The theme for the assembly was "Temple by the River". I don't think we'll ever forget how beautiful it was.

Our Phi club climaxed the year with a banquet. It was a little sad because so many were leaving that year and most of us had become close

p. 14


friends.

The Associated Women and Associated Men challenged each other to see could get the most votes for the Student Body elections. The president of the winning side was to throw a pie in the losing presidents face. The girl's side won so I threw the pie (most fun I'd ever had). Then, with the help of a few fellows, I washed it off for him - with the fire hose!

R-day was the day everyone helped to clean up the campus. Those who shirked their duties spent a short period in the swimming pool.

Before everyone left to go home we had one last party at the Sand Hills. This had become quite a famous place to us by now. We will always remember playing prisoner's base and how I ripped out the knee of my peddle pushers sliding into base. After the weiner roast we sat around the campfire and sang while Bud accompanied us with his guitar. Times like this make life fun.

Meanwhile, back home in Canada, the family was growing and multiplying rapidly. Another little plumber was added to Ralph and Pearl's family. Nancy Louise became Melody and Laura's new little sister.

For LaRee's birthday we made her a multilayered cake with purple icing. It tasted all right if you ate with your eyes closed.

Before Vena Rae was married we had a surprise shower for her. To save her some money, we made a wedding dress for her out of paper napkins. Then we all went uptown, with Vena Rae leading the procession, and had ice cream cones.

The end of the summer meant the end of many parties and other activities for me as Nursing began to occupy more and more of my time. It seemed good to be relieved of so many outside responsibilities although I will always be glad I had those opportunities.

Budgie, (Margaret Budge) a fellow student nurse became my room mate this year. From the first time I went home with her, it was like going to my own home. I've often hoped that when I have a family of my own, that we can have the kind of happiness and love for one another as they have. Many's the half hour Markie and I spent at the swing behind the house and I enjoyed every (puff! Puff!) minute of it. I lived on a farm most of my life so far but never learned to milk a cow until I entered college. Neil and I became milking pardners. The first time I saw Lynn he had cowboy boots on so I named him Duke. Later on I wore a sack dress, so to get even he named me Spud. Duke took us lots of places every time Budgie and I went home -

p. 15


rabbit hunting, swimming, mountain climbing, trilobiting (that's Budge language for fossil hunting). Grandma's (sister Budge) cookie jar was always full when we arrived but somehow it didn't stay that way long. Every girl isn't lucky enough to have more than one pa. I was sure my Idaho pa and my Canadian Pa must have been related somewhere down the line. They were alike in many ways. Every member of the family holds a special permanent place in my heart.

Budgie and two of my nursing buddies went home with me that Fall. We spent a day "roughing it" at Waterton. An old timer who looked like an experienced guide, gave us directions for finding a beautiful mountain drive. After driving for what seemed like hours with tall timbers scraping both sides of the car, we turned around and drove back to civilization. We discovered our scenic drive was nothing more than a logging trail.

It's a wonder the Farmer's Market had any bananas left by the time we went back to school. Our motto after that became "Hadda Banana Today?"

When any of us received goodies from home, it didn't take long for the smell to attract about ten other nurses. It became a share and share alike organization.

It was fun to welcome the new freshmen nurses and see how we had looked the year before. Being president of the nurses student body, I was asked to give a talk at the capping ceremony for the new nurses. It was a great experience for me because I was able to recall for them the rough spots and the highlights of our journey so far. But most of all I hoped to give them encouragement which is something every student nurse needs plenty of.

On nice Summer days we sometimes took our books to other side of the river (Idaho Falls) to study. This will always be a favorite beauty spot of mine. When we felt our patients were over-working us we always did something drastic - like have a swimming party. About the only thing we liked better than swimming, was swimming some more.

The temple was right across the street from the Sun Porch of our nurses home. I used to sit out on the porch almost every night for a few minutes. Somehow it just felt good - sort of peaceful - being so close to the temple.

Ivard received his mission call, of all places, to Western Canada. He was at the mission home in Salt Lake City at the same time our nurses class

p. 16


was on surgery affiliations at the hospital there. Our instructors excused us our last afternoon so Budgie and I went to see Ivard set apart for his mission. He was given a wonderful blessing. We walked around after, until I had to leave. When I said, "I'll see you in a couple of years," it seemed like I was saying, "I'll see you in a couple of hours." Two years is such a long time, especially when you aren't sure how things really are to begin with. But I always knew things would work out for the best, but I really didn't "know" how that would be.

Dale drove us home for Christmas, and he was in such a hurry to get there that he received three tickets that night. Later that night we saw why. He gave Laura Brooks a diamond ring.

It seems funny that you have to go so far away before you really appreciate your home and family. The man who said, "There's no place like home", really knew what he was talking about.

The rest of the year went fast for us (too fast we thought). Studies had become a very serious matter by now. State board exams stared us in the face like a life or death sentence. I spent most of my weekends at the nurses home from then on so I could concentrate more on studies more and also earn a few extra dollars. I went with Tony sometimes (my friend from Samoa) and he kept me from getting completely out of the dancing groove.

The Ricks College Choir had been asked to sing in the tabernacle for April Conference. Dr. Hill sent out a special request for new members so Budgie and I joined. I felt it was one of the most important classes I took at college. Singing in the tabernacle was an experience of a lifetime. But Dr. Hill's sweet humble spirit made the class worth taking.

I had the opportunity to be assistant genealogy teacher at the college ward for two quarters. When I was set apart I was told that this job would not be a burden to me but that I would find time for all my work. It did seem that I was able to budget my time better and my new position never did seem like a job.

Because I was a "foreigner" at Ricks I became a member of the International Students Club. Different countries were represented at each of our programs. It was interesting and fun to be so close to the people from other countries from all over the world. I enjoyed working on assemblies and programs with these students, all of whom became great friends. For our closing event, we all went to Yellowstone National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment